Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday...And The Lord Sups One Last Time

Two things happened that night, both unprecedented and unparalleled. To my knowledge, never in history a master has come even close to doing for his servants what the Lord did that evening in such a manner as this. 

First, He gave them a teaching on humility. Teaching, not as in a talk on humility as the teachers & preachers of present do, He literally, walked the talk and did it, if I may call it so, practically. He got up from the table, took of his outer clothing, wrapped a towel around His waist and started washing the feat of His disciples.There was this usual over exuberance from Peter as he stopped the Lord from washing his feet as he thought it was stretching things a bit too far. The Lord would have none of it and rebuking him in His own way, He continued on this great act of service. He would later ask them, if they really understood the real implication of what he had just done.

  "When he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?  You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them .......(John 13:12-17, RSV).

Today, as a part of Maundy Thursday celebrations in our mission, we enacted the washing of the feet. We first started with the spouses washing each others' feet and asking forgiveness for all the wrongs which one  may have caused to the other. By the time it was over each adult member had washed the feet of everyone else in the mission and asked forgiveness from everyone else. It was a beautiful experience and brought about a lot of healing in individual relationships but also in building the community, as a whole.

Washing the feet of anyone, let alone someone 'lower' than me? Unthinkable! Yes, almost. Thankfully, the Lord has been able to penetrate me a wee bit, for me to come out of it (only just a bit, though).It's not just the literal act that is called for (as it may not even be relevant in most situations) but it's the act of dying to my  pride which makes it painful and I must say, I still miss out on about 60-65% of the opportunities of  'dying' which come my way. Still a plenty of work to be done there.........actually , more than plenty.

Second, He instituted the sacrament of Eucharist. In other words, he gave up his own body and precious blood for our consumption so that in receiving Him, we would not only be saved but also change into Him, one day. All this He did out of nothing but sheer love. God giving up Himself for His precious people. To some it was so abominable even in those days so as to walk away from Him, as "this teaching was too difficult for them".

But the way some of us approach this most blessed sacrament today, an approach fraught with utter callousness and indifference is even more painful to watch. "You become what you eat" is a thought process which is accepted in both western and eastern cultures (and also in other religions) and the early  Church was blessed and anointed enough to accept this teaching and it soon became not just a way of life for them but also became integral to their worship. Yes, the Holy Eucharist, has been a central  point of worship since the time of  the early Christians and has been passed on from generation to generation to this day 2000 years on.
I wonder then, On one side there are many people who do not have much reverence for the blessed Sacrament and then  there is a section which, due to lack of proper instruction and/or lack of interest in learning more about this most beautiful aspect of our faith, is not sure if it is indeed the real presence of Christ in the Sacrament which they are receiving. And on the other side, there is me, who goes for Mass and receives the Lord in Communion daily, having absolutely no doubt whatsoever Who I am receiving and yet I ask myself, how at times, although I am going out of my volition, I fail to be diligent enough while receiving Him. How at times my mind wanders into thinking about the trivialities of life where as I  should be focused on how best to receive Him and How best to accept Him and which area of my sin most to apply Him to. I  too fall prey to the rut of the routine.
 
Once I realise that  I need a saviour, Christianity is not exactly a very complicated religion to follow or practice and to get to the depths of it one has to just master a few critical  areas viz, Love & forgiveness, I  start practicing these in my day to day walk and sure enough I am on my way..Complicated? No, but not easy either. Boy, it is mighty difficult to get a handle on these two areas as it is not just love and forgiving according to my whim , fancy and convenience.It is loving like Christ did , forgiving like He did on the Cross. Love is not an emotion or feeling as popular culture tries to drill down our collective conscience, it is a decision.


Yes, it is so very painful indeed to humble myself infront of people who do not have any, let alone love, but even the scantest of respect for me. But that's what I am called to do. Both love and forgiveness are not optional. Two years of living in community has  helped me slowly , very slowly to start internalising this truth in myself. I just pray that I do not lose my way again.

And thus The Lord having shared Himself with His chosen ones, moved out of the room and prayed in the garden of Gethsemane, very much mindful of the fact of Judas, one of His chosen one, had already hatched a plan to turn Him over to the Jewsish pharisees and the Romans, for all but 30 pieces of silver. And this is exactly what happened. As He prayed and the other disciples slept, Judas came and gave  a kiss of betrayal on the Lord's cheek and the soldiers taking that as a sign, arrested Him. A mild melee ensued, thanks to once again, Peter's impetuous nature but The Lord was in complete control. He asked the soldiers to let go of His disciples and arrest only the one they came for.....HIM. He took Him away.


No comments:

Members