Sunday, April 29, 2012

Good Shepherd Sunday

The 4th Sunday of Easter season is celebrated as the Good Shepherd Sunday.

First Reading : Acts 4:8-12
Second Reading : 1 John 3:1-2
Gospel : John 10:11-18

 
All the readings point towards the love of God in Jesus Christ. The imagery which the Gospel especially tries to create is that of Jesus as the Good Shepherd. It is one of my favorite imagery and helps me to look at Lord as the one who protects, provides and guides me through my journey. It's so difficult for us to look at God as Father. A father who takes care of His children, a Shepherd who is ever ready to lay down His life for me. As St.John writes in this Gospel narrative in verse 12, He is not a hireling (a man who has been hired to take care of the the sheep) but instead takes his sheep as His own. A hired worker will not take the risk of being around when the wolf comes to hunt, but the good shepherd stays and fights for his sheep. That's our Lord for us. He does not abandon us , never thinks of forsaking us no matter how unfaithful a sheep, we end up being. To call Him my Shepherd, I also need to make myself His Sheep. This has to a conscious decision on my part knowing well that following Him means I will have to curb my dependence on self and grow in dependence on Him.....to lead me to greener pastures, to safer havens. The confidence that He will guide me to places which hitherto I did not fathom I could reach. It calls for unflinching, yet simple faith. Not easy when all our lives we have 'managed it on our own'. Not easy even when He is the one who is calling us personally to be His own. Something inside of us is always there to pull us back as it leads to that dreaded place called....'Complete Surrender'. 


To be a disciple is to follow the master completely, without reservations. In fact , St.John takes it to a new level...it is to be a child of God. It may also mean leaving the world ie, the things of the world and also some of the relationships of the world behind. This can be painful. But the Lord gives us hope of a gift which can only bestowed upon a disciple , more importantly , a son/daughter of God. The gift of being able to see Him face to and to know Him as He is. Oh what a gloriously beautiful prize to aspire for. (Ref 2nd reading).

No comments:

Members